Friday, April 2, 2010

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies



I noticed I had a banana hiding in the bottom of my fruit basket and I absoluetly hate to waste food so I was trying to figure out what to do with it. I started making chocolate chip cookies and the light bulb went off! I decided to mush up the banana and put it into the dough. Surprisily, it came out really yummy. I think next time I will add walnuts though.



I always make my cookies using the Neiman Marcus recipe and add different ingriedient to change it up a little.

Ingredients


1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons instant espresso coffee powder
1-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 very ripe banana


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream the butter with the sugars using an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy (approximately 30 seconds)

2. Beat in the egg and the vanilla extract for another 30 seconds.

3. In a mixing bowl, sift together the dry ingredients and beat into the butter mixture at low speed for about 15 seconds. Stir in the espresso coffee powder and chocolate chips, and mashed banana.

4. Using a 1 ounce scoop or a 2 tablespoon measure, drop cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Gently press down on the dough with the back of a spoon to spread out into a 2 inch circle. Bake for about 20 minutes or until nicely browned around the edges. Bake a little longer for a crispier cookie.

1 comment:

  1. You have no idea how happy I am that you posted a picture of that banana. I have two bananas that *almost* look that bad and didn't know if they were too ripe to cook with. know I know they'll be perfect for some banana bread! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete