Sunday, March 14, 2010

Homemade Farmer's Cheese or Queso Fresco


I have been wanting to make homemade cheese for a while! I finally did it and it came out great. I get a little weary buying products from the stores because I don't trust all the crap they put in it. I love knowing that I made it and I know exactly what went in it and can pronounce everything too :)

Ingredients
1 gallon whole milk
1/4 cup white or cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Kosher salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions

1.Pour the milk into a large pot, and heat until the temperature reaches 195 degrees F. Make sure to stir constantly to prevent scorching. When the milk reaches the temperature, take off burner, and stir in the vinegar and lemon juice. Let stand for about 10 minutes.

2.Line a strainer with cheesecloth, and set over the sink or a large pot or bowl. The milk should have separated leaving and a yellowish liquid that is whey. Stir the salt into the milk, then pour through the cloth-lined strainer. Let the curds continue to drain in the strainer for 1 hour. You can trash the whey or save it to drink like my hubby does.
3.Once the cheese is finished draining place in a plastic container and it will last 7 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment